[thelist] JavaScript: How much is too much?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sun Jan 18 19:51:50 CST 2004

Sreedhar Chintalapaty wrote:

> For example:
> Considering an intranet type environment, if I end up
> with 200-300 KB of JS for the entire application (a
> one time download being no more than 100K), would you
> consider that to be too big to justify this solution?

What's the latency of the environment? An "intranet" for Company A
may be inside a single building, for Company B a private global net
that includes a distributed headquarters campus in Kalleeefornia on
OC-12s and sales offices in Tuflukistan on 64k ISDN lines. :-)

In a low-latency environment, I'd probably put as much logic on the
server as possible. If it's sub-second response anyway, why not just
generate the final html and let the browser render it?

I hope someone else chimes in here with an alternate perspective,
but frankly the more I think about it, the less I'd do client-side.
Re-sort a grid on a different column, yes, reload the grid, no.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.