[thelist] ASP.NET Errors

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jan 19 18:57:19 CST 2004

From: "Walter Hemingway" <walt at medianetwork.ws>
Subject: [thelist] ASP.NET Errors

: Hey folks!!! When I am trying to run my asp.net pages, here is one of
: the errors I get:
:
: Server Error in '/' Application.
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
: Configuration Error
: a configuration file required to service this request. Please
: review the specific error details below and modify your
: configuration file appropriately.
:
: Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section
: registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'
: beyond application level. This error can be caused by a
: virtual directory not being configured as an
: application in IIS.

Usually this problem is caused because you haven't set the root folder of
the application to be a web application in IIS.

Goto Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Internet
Information Services
(this will vary slightly depending on your platform)

Expand the website in question, and locate the folder where your application
resides.

Right click -> Properties -> "Virtual Directory" tab -> Click "Create"
button, and choose a name (can be anything, preferably not something you've
already used)

Alternatively, the problem can be caused if you are attempting to refer to a
resource (eg specifying a login page) that exists outside the current web
application root (eg in another web application)

Cheers
Ken