[thelist] free asp file upload component

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jan 19 20:59:20 CST 2004

From: "Sarah Sweeney" <poohbear at designshift.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] free asp file upload component

: >> On a side note: it seems so easy to move/copy/delete files
: >>- why is it so hard to upload them?
: >
: > only if you use ASP :-)
:
: That's what I meant. Unfortunately I didn't get to choose the platform
: for this project. Can anyone tell me why uploading files is so
: hard with ASP?
:
: Sarah

It's not "so hard", it's just that there's nothing built into ASP to
natively handle this.

Originally, ASP was released circa 1997 (?) with IIS v3. At the time, there
probably wasn't a lot of call for this type of functionality. Additionally,
a lot of stuff in the Microsoft world relies on additional 3rd-party
components and controls. Despite what you might read in the popular online
media, there are many, many software companies out there making a living
building extra functionality for MS products. As certain things become
increasingly desired, Microsoft may subsume them into the core product.

ASP.Net was launched over 2 years ago, and offers the functionality that you
want. If you continue to use old products however, you probably can't expect
everything that you can get using a more up-to-date product that is designed
for today's needs rather than yesterday's

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)