[thelist] [CSS & DHTML] Showing/Hiding Divs in a Table-less layout

Jacques Capesius jacques_capesius at cnt.com
Tue Jan 20 12:13:29 CST 2004

Hi Evolters,

I'm trying to transition myself (finally) into a CSS-based layout of content
without the use of tables, and I'm running into headaches, particularly when
I want to hide/show them using DHTML, like one would do when creating menus,
for example.

The problem I'm having is using javascript to show and hide the divs, and
I'm wondering if any of you guys could clue me in as to what I'm doing
wrong.

I have two divs, each with a different question. Within each question div,
there are two divs, one to position the question text on the left, one to
position the question text on the right. Seems simple enough.

I have some JavaScript that sets the visibility to hidden or visible
depending on the answer of a radio button. The problem I'm having is that no
matter what I do, I can't get the divs with the questions to show.

To see the page I'm trying to get to work, and the source (the CSS and
JavaScript are on the same page), please go to...

http://www.capesius.com/notable.html

The problem is occuring in IE 6.0.2. It works in Mozilla 1.3.1. Ditto
Netscape 7.1. I'm hoping there's a solution out there that will allow it to
work in both, without the need for codeforks and all that silliness.

Thanks in advance for any advice you folks can offer.

-jacques :)