[thelist] OT-ish purely image based websites

Dave Holloway daveholloway at spamcop.net
Tue Jan 20 17:02:08 CST 2004

Rebecca O'Connell wrote:

>That's it. That's all the content that shows up on the page. I looked at the
>source, and all of the images are alt="". I am astonsihed. I thought we'd
>moved past this. Especially major corporations who presumably hire
>professional web designers.

So? Do all television programs have subtitles?
This may stir up a bit of a fuss with all the great believers of
accessibility here but.. I think that in the case of websites,
accessibility (namely alternative text) should be optional. Does this
mean that audio tapes and CDs must also be distributed with text
alternatives? Should every showing of a movie have subtitles pasted at
the bottom?

I'm not saying accessible alternatives to websites is bad - far from it.
I design every one of my sites now so that all the content is readable
in a text browser.
All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be a necessity.

One may argue that not providing alt text may loose you potentially big
clients... but surely that is the decision of the business? I don't know
if any of you have noticed.. but most websites are almost completely
inaccessible.. section 508 isn't exactly catching on in a big way.

But thats my opinion..

But... I'm still in favour of making accessible websites.. keep at it
people!

Yours controversially,

Little Dave

--
http://www.daveholloway.co.uk
Feel free to add me to your instant messengers: