[thelist] EU data privacy -- what are the US ramifications

Fortune Elkins fortune_elkins at summithq.com
Thu Jan 22 15:21:21 CST 2004

Hiya!

We have a London office and are thinking about creating closer data and info
sharing for marketing. But we worried about the EU data law. As explained at
http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/privacy/docs/guide/guide_en.pdf it
frankly seems like it's just a pain to deal with EU resident info, even just
email addresses, in the US. Leave 'em in London, that's what I'm beginning
to think.

Are we being too cautious? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Confused,