[thelist] asp ... I'm beginneing to believe one can't really update a record using it! :(

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Jan 24 19:53:01 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lightning" <oktellme at earthlink.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 3:11 PM

> The message I get is:
> Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
> Operation must use an updateable query.

Laura,

One more thing.  This error is thrown when you haven't specified the correct
cursor type.  Make sure you select a cursor type that allows for recordset
updates.  If you can't seem get that to work, then try another approach...
something along the following:

strConn = "[connection string stuff here]"
Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
oConn.open strConn

strSQL = "UPDATE mytable SET myfield = 'newvalue' WHERE id = 2"

oConn.Execute strSQL
oConn.Close
Set oConn = Nothing

When one of the previous responders suggesting writing a manual update, this
is what they were referring to.

If the permissions are correct then this should work.  If you want to ENSURE
that the permissions are correct so you can test your code without worry,
then disable anonymous access and visit the page and authenticate as an
admin.

Best of luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer