Old Browsers and security - Was Re: [thelist] Site review please

Chris Hayes chris at londonweb.net
Wed Jan 28 07:16:00 CST 2004

I reply to all the responses I've had to this.

I should be more careful than to make sweeping suggestions on what I know is
a complicated and emotive issue.

>> AFAIK it's not just hat ppl  _should_  be using updated browsers, they
>> really _must_, with the significant advances in security, encryption and
>> cert handling

>? Could you offer some specifics on this?

I hate it when ppl ask me to be specific.  It means I have to remember
stuff:)  And I can't.
I just draw attention to the fact that older browsers which are no longer
supported are going to be prone to security problems.  The extent and
magnitude of these problems may be overblown by anybody trying to sell
modern browsers, but it really makes a lot of sense.

>Refusing to display a site is a bit extreme...
I was in an extreme mood.

>A program like this existed for a while -- it was called (IIRC...
It's good to know something could be done if properly focussed.

>Never stop your customer when he's trying to give you money.
I simply cannot argue with that;)  Should we suggest we alert the customer
on the "Thank you for your donation/custom" page:)

And for people who are simply unable to upgrade at the moment...

Well what issues should they be aware of and how would we best propagate
that awareness?

Remember this has nothing to do with how nice the site looks, it's pertenant
to the users' security.

Cheers

Chris