[thelist] Strange IE Permission Issue...

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Jan 28 22:09:54 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Strange IE Permission Issue...

: --- Ken Schaefer <ken at adOpenStatic.com> wrote:
: > Try:
: > Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc
: >
: > Expand User Configuration -> Administrative Templates
: >
: > Click on Internet Explorer. See if anything has been enabled there.
: > Otherwise, click on "Internet Control Panel" and "Browser Menus"
: > (underneath Internet Explorer), and see if anything has been
: > enabled (usually means that a restriction is in place) there.
:
: WindowsXP is telling me no such program exists for gpedit.msc or
: plain old gpedit.
:
: Interestingly enough, I can go to control panel > internet options
: and get the dialog. This seems odd indeed. Still, I can't get it from
: IE itself.
:
: Is gpedit a misspelling?
:
: Tom

gpedit.msc is the Local Group Policy MMC Snapin. It should be located in
c:\windows\system32\ (not sure if it's present on Windows XP Home though)

Otherwise, you can do try:
Start -> Run -> mmc.exe (loads black MMC)
File -> Add/Remove Snapin -> Add button -> Group Policy (focus should be set
to Local Policy by default, but you can change this to Domain Group Policy
if you want, if you're in a domain). You can then save this as whatever.msc
as your own Group Policy MMC Snapin editor

Cheers
Ken