[thelist] re: My 12 year old son can do websites

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:44:15 CST 2004

Hi all,

John wrote:

>I've been working through these responses and I'm kinda curious about
>something.
>
>Someone said we should explain the difference between hand-coded HTML and
>WYSIWYG-produced HTML. Well, what are the benefits to the client?

I have used code-generating apps for over 15 years. In my experience it
comes down to this. The more specific and isolated the task at hand, the
more these apps are useful. For creating reports, summary pages, or to
demonstrate a specific idea or point, they can save lots of time.

However, the more broad based the end product will be, the less likely it is
to meet your needs. That goes doubly for something that is going to be
around a long time. For my web sites, for example, I have someone do the
initial coding and then I can edit in Dreamweaver. I very quickly abandoned
FrontPage because it would “help” me by making (MS specific) additions that
I could not remove.

As for the benefits to the client. If you can handle the quicker
auto-generated code and the client cannot tell the difference, why not?

Ken