[thelist] Hand Coding vs. WYSIWYGs [was 12yr old]

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 12:59:40 CST 2004

Hi all,

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

>But because they are new(er), they don't understand the deeper issues
>involved. Which is TRUE.
>
>  - The myth that WYSIWYGs are faster than hand coding is just that -
>a myth. Also TRUE
>
>  - Hand written code is a better product. Also TRUE.
>
>  - If I want to code to standards and use some somewhat advanced xHTML
>CSS layouts, I simply have to have my hands in the code. Also TRUE.
>
>So the real benefits to the client - I still think speed of delivery
>and a quality product. Also TRUE.
>
>And I still believe that the hand-coder is the professional who truly
>understands what is going on in the code. Also TRUE.

So what is the problem? There is also an old programmers saying: There is
Speed, Quality, and Low Price. Select any two. This, sadly, is also TRUE.
Those who stress Speed and Quality usually work for corporations where money
is not the major concern. Others need to compromise somewhat, usually on
Quality.

Not everyone can make the choice that otherwise is clearly correct.

Ken