[thelist] New search engine system: Eurekster

Mike evolt at muinar.com
Fri Jan 30 12:03:17 CST 2004

At 09:45 30.01.2004 -0800, you wrote:
>     Read eurekster's "personalization" [1] documentation: they track your
>browsing patterns, and your search results are skewed based on a minscule
>sample of friends or associates. Those friends and associates are all known
>to Eurekster, who in turn provide sponsored search results. Sounds like a
>marketer's dream. No thanks.
>
>1. http://home.eurekster.com/howitworks.htm
>
>James Aylard

Hi James

This seems too obvious to be true - if they abuse their own system, don't you
think they would very soon be out of business - ?

Here's what they say themselves:

o       Our whole service depends on us protecting your privacy

And:

o       At any time you can totally unsubscribe and you will not be
contacted again

Anyway, I gave them a 'personalized' email address that I don't use at other
places, and that I can drop immediately if necessary  ;)

Mike

_____  mike s. krischker  http://webdesign-schweiz.ch/