[thelist] Google fails to find sub-pages

Simon Perry simon.perry at si-designs.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 12:47:09 CST 2004

Jane De'Ath wrote:

>Hello List!
>
>I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a problem that has been baffling me for weeks.
>
>I registered a simple little HTML site with search engines for a client.  It's got index.htm and maybe 10 sub pages.  The URL is www.studiostitches.com.au
>
>Google will find references only from the index page, but not from any of the other pages.  Even if I use a specific site search it fails to find anything located on another page.
>
>I have even added each separate page URL to Google, but so far, to no avail.
>
>All the text is real text - not images.
>
>Any suggestions would be most helpful
>
>Regards
>
>Jane

Jane,

As far as the google bot will be aware there are no links on that page
whatsoever as there are no <a href=""></a> elements. You have used
javascript to create an effect and the "links" in a non standard way.
This approach leads to all types of issues including accessibility, and
breaking in any non javascript or non javascript enabled clients.

The good news is that you can easily ditch the javascript and use <a
href=""> and recreate the effect you are after with some simple CSS [1].
If you are serious about web design and page ranking then you should
consider taking a more semantic and standard compliant approach to
writing pages [2] [3] [4]

Lastly, a hint for list etiquette; you have replied to a previous post
regarding javascript instead of  posting a new question to the list.
This will annoy those using list readers and also skew the web archives.

Simon

[1] http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

[2]
http://web.zdnet.com.au/builder/program/web/story/0,2000034810,20282058,00.htm?