[thelist] Re: Internet Explorer 6.0 locked out of "options"

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Feb 3 17:50:30 CST 2004

From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Re: Internet Explorer 6.0 locked out of "options"

: --- Ken Schaefer <ken at adOpenStatic.com> wrote:
: > Did you check out the suggestions in a recent thread on this issue
: > "Strange IE permission issue"?
:
: Just an FYI - I've tried all those suggestions to no avail - I too am
: still having this problem - over a week now. Would love to solve it,
: wonder if its an XP thing...

The Local Security policy editor just makes changes to the registry,
security accounts databases and so forth. For example, there are several
ways you can choose to give a user "logon as a batch job", or "act as part
of the operating system", but the most convenient way is via gpedit.msc

Now, it seems gpedit.msc is not available on Windows XP Home. I'm not
familiar with Windows XP Home - I'm really only familiar with XP Pro (given
that I work in a corporate environment).

Somewhere there is a registry key or similar that is preventing you access
to the IE settings. Most policy settings (for IE) are stored in:

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Interent Explorer\Restrictions\
    -or-
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\

(HKCU is the Current User hive, and HKLM is the Local Machine hive). You
will see these if you run "regedit.exe" using Start -> Run. If you can not
find any keys in there that look applicable to your situation I suggest you
ask on a Windows XP Home newsgroup or similar support forum where there are
people more knowledgeable about the product in question.

    -or-
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/forums/subscribe.cfm?list=ntsysadmin
(subscribe to the NTSysAdmin list at Sunbelt software)

Cheers
Ken