[thelist] Layout (float?) problem in Netscape 6 (Windows)

Peekstok, Anna Anna.Peekstok at METROKC.GOV
Thu Feb 5 17:59:33 CST 2004

I've been off the list for a bit due to message overload, but really could
use some help with this, so am crawling back in supplication.

I have a two-column page created with nested divs that is working fine in
Explorer and Opera. Some time today while I was refining the code, it
stopped working in Netscape 6 (Windows). I've tried everything I can think
of and just can't figure it out.

URL of a sample malfunctioning page:
http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/aboutus/intransit/2003/03_may-jun_operator.stm

Style sheets:
http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/style.css (generic to entire site)
http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/aboutus/intransit/styles.css (specific to this
sub-site; the problem is probably here)

Short summary and ASCII diagram of my problem:

Page design
1. one big div that makes a grey box 100% wide
2. a nested div that should create the left-hand column (135px wide, float:
left)
3. a div that's nested inside the first div (but not the second) with a
white background and a left margin of 144px.

  What I want:                      What Netscape shows:

  -----------------------------     -----------------------------
  |       |                   |     |       |                   |
  | grey  | white box with    |     | empty |  text   main page |
  |  box  | main page content |     | grey  |  from   content   |
  | with  |                   |     | box   |  grey   is shoved |
  | text  |                   |     |       |  box    over here |
  |       |                   |     |       |         but wraps |
  |       |                   |     |       |  at bottom like   |
  |       |                   |     |       |  this             |
  |       |                   |     |       |                   |
  | still |                   |     | still | still             |
  |  grey | still white       |     |  grey | white             |

+ + +
Anna Peekstok
King County Department of Transportation
Community Relations and Communications
206-263-6482

+ + +