[thelist] Big diagram on webpage, Javascript to print?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 11:10:18 CST 2004

Hi

Any thoughts on this?

I have some product installation diagrams I want to provide on a website.
They're quite detailed, so to get them readable they'd need to be quite
big images .. I was looking at 2.5 minutes download maybe.

The conclusion I came to was to provide a small image, and a button to
click to print an A4 sheet version. I think I can use Javascript to load
and print a bigger version of the image (can I?).

Does the panel think this will work, technically, usability-wise, and so on?

Also, there are two different pairs of images depending on whether the
user's chosen product a or b. I was thinking of, mid text, providing a
link choice "Did you buy A or B", and depending what they click, using
JavaScript to bring in the right image pairs. I have a niggling feeling
I'm over-JavaScripting it, but I don't want people to have to load both
pairs of images when only one pair will be relevant to them. And to link
to another page kinda spoils the sense of navigational structure.

All comments appreciated, I may be able to post a link later this evening.

Cheers