[thelist] Access Keys

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 20:36:41 CST 2004

I've followed the recommendations of diveintoaccessibility.org and use
these keys:
Access key 0 - Link to a page describing the access keys
Access key 1 - Home page
Access key 2 ++ The rest of the main sections of the site

I don't expose the skip navigation link to the graphical browser
because it doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If you skip it, then
that's it. you've skipped it, but you won't have scrolled the page more
than about an inch or so. Doesn't seem worth the effort.

For a text browser, however, I expose the skip navigation link because
it is more useful. It will scroll the page past the top level
navigation and put focus on the first form element if there is one.

I also include a 'skip to the secondary navigation' link for text
browsers if the html is laid out so the secondary navigation displays
after the main content in a text browser. But again, this is not
exposed to the graphical browsers.

Dian

On Friday, February 6, 2004, at 05:34 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> I'd like to raise a quick question on this before it's wrapped up. As
> access-key '0' is often assigned to a 'Skip Navigation' anchor, what
> exactly
> is the motive behind this 'Skip Navigation' anchor? I realise that the
> user
> can use this to skip the navigation menu but is it implemented so that
> the
> focus is skipped to the top of the main content (i.e., a <div> element
> perhaps) or to the next available link within the main content?
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown