[thelist] Website Search Engine Recommendations?

holmegm at comcast.net holmegm at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 06:14:04 CST 2004

>> The server is running Windows 2000 and is hosted with external hosts, so
>> ideally it should run as ASP or other scripting rather than Perl (I don't
>> think PHP is installed either).
>Richard, the main contenders in the (opensourced) search engine world,
>are http://www.htdig.org/ and http://www.mnogosearch.ru/
>
>They don't apparently fit in with your server setup but are maybe
>worthy of some investigation time

In the past, I've successfully compiled both under Cygwin (to run on Windows).  You can create a wrapper in your favorite scripting language, if none already exists as contributed work.  I'm not sure about performance; I was using them
for an intranet with relatively low traffic.

Both worked well, although with some differences in approach.  You really need to ba able to tweak and configure, but if you can do that they are so flexible and powerful.

Greg Holmes