[thelist] Learning XML

Marcus Andersson marcus at bristav.se
Mon Feb 9 02:40:24 CST 2004

> 1. The book says I need Java installed on my machine and refers to a "Java
> Development Kit (JDK)" to be found at javasoft.com. I couldn't find this at
> all, seems to be out of date, so does anyone know what has replaced it?
> 2. I would quite like an idiots guide to XML on the web as a second
> reference. I have looked through Google and found several, but none really
> suit my needs. Can anyone recommend any sites that they have found useful?

1. Java SDK can be found at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html. But as someone else said:
do it in the environment that you are used to (even though Java is
excellent for working with XML thanks to numerous frameworks/tools and
the fact that Java is platform independent as is XML)

2.
- xml.org and their beginners link list
(http://www.xml.org/xml/resources_focus_beginnerguide.shtml). Really
good to get started.
- w3schools (http://www.w3schools.com/), good tutorials
- zvon.org, good tutorials and small refs
- w3c.org, specifications on most of the core XML technologies and there
is also a lot of pointers to learning documentation related to each tech.
- xml.com (O'Reillys site dedicated to XML), a lot of articles from some
of the most prominent XML gurus.
- http://www.cafeconleche.org/, Elliote Rusty Harolds (an XML author)
site dedicated to XML. A lot of links to different tools, tutorials,
specs and his books (where a couple of them is almost complete and a
couple of them is with sample chapters). His writing is mostly
java-related though.

I would go with the first link for a real quick start though and go from
there.

/Marcus