[thelist] VB6/ADO GetString compile error

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com
Mon Feb 9 12:20:53 CST 2004

I am executing a sproc from VB that returns multiple record sets, which
I want to use to build a big long string.  I discovered the GetString()
method of the ADO recordset object and thought I was in business, but
when I try to invoke it, I get a "Object Required" error on the
GetString method, even though as I was typing the line in the code, the
"GetString" method came up in the autocomplete window for the RecordSet
object, so I thought I was golden.  What could I be doing wrong?

Ok, here are what I believe to be the pertinent exerpts of VB code:

Public rsSprocReturn As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim NewStr As Variant
Set rsSprocReturn = cmd.Execute
Do Until rsSprocReturn Is Nothing
	If Not rsSprocReturn.State = adStateClosed Then
		If Not (rsSprocReturn.EOF And rsSprocReturn.BOF) Then
			Set NewStr = rsSprocReturn.GetString   '<-- line
with error
			ReportStr = ReportStr & vbCrLf & CStr(NewStr) &
vbCrLf
		End If
	End If
	Set rsSprocReturn = rsSprocReturn.NextRecordset()
Loop

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **