[thelist] New Critical Security Patch for Windows....

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk david.landy at somerfield.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 05:56:15 CST 2004

Jeff,

Thanks for your well-worded and well-reasoned defence of Microsoft, which
certainly gave me pause for thought. As I examine my thoughts about MS, I
find that I have been relating to them as The Evil Empire, snuffing out
competitors everywhere, stifling signs of intelligent cyber-life wherever
they could, or sucking it into their gelatinous mass if they could not kill
it completely... I've been making them REALLY wrong.... like somehow *worse*
than Saddam Hussein or something!! How mad is that??

The trouble is that I work day in and day out with Microsoft products, and
then go home to pick up my personal email on... guess what... Windows and
Outlook Express. My resentment has me really annoyed, angry, frustrated, and
upset, and I feel like a total sell-out working with their stuff while
secretly dissing it.

Well... it's just not worth it any more. I'm giving up my criticism and
righteousness (like, my software's really perfect, and I'm never jealous or
secretly kill off my competitors?... AS IF!!) If I didn't have this
criticism I could work just as I do and have some fun, excitement, and
exploration with my programming.

Take care and thanks for bringing this topic up.

David

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: John C Bullas
>
> Microsoft who art in Redmond.......
>
> Thank you for providing virus writers and hackers with
> the exploits from day one be they security loopholes,
> possible buffer overruns or missing canaries, that later
> on enable you to remind us of your beneficence via
> "windows Update"......
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

.From: Jeff Howden
.
.technology is built by humans and therefore imperfect.  to cast a stone at
.any particular vendor (in this case microsoft) is extremely boastful of
your
.own abilities, no?  further, it indicates just how out of touch you are
with
.security news online.  yes, there are a lot of security holes in microsoft
.products and yes, microsofts products enjoy a rather dominant market share.
.however, the fact remains that alerts from most any non-vendor-specific
.security alert service you sign up to have microsoft products in the gross
.minority, the opposite of what you might be inclined to believe.  just
.something to ponder before you blurt the usual, uninformed, anti-microsoft
.rhetoric you hear from self-proclaimed computer experts.
.
.jeff

David

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please preserve the
confidentiality of it and advise the sender immediately of any error in
transmission. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken, or
omitted to be taken, by an unauthorised recipient in reliance upon the
contents of this e-mail is prohibited. Somerfield cannot accept liability
for any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses so
please carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. In
replying to this e-mail you are granting the right for that reply to be
forwarded to any other individual within the business and also to be read by
others. Any views expressed by an individual within this message do not
necessarily reflect the views of Somerfield.  Somerfield reserves the right
to intercept, monitor and record communications for lawful business
purposes.