[thelist] Search Form accessibility question

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 19:53:02 CST 2004

Just a guess, but you don't have a label element at all, so perhaps the
validator is expecting one and that is why you get the error. Of
course, you don't have any text next to the text field to associate
with a label. Try putting some text with a label element there,
associated with the text field, and see what happens.

I can understand the desire to not put a label next to your textfield
field, but this might answer your question of why the errors.

On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 04:11 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm getting three errors when I check my 508 compliance with Bobby:
>
> 1) Explicitly associate form controls and their labels with the LABEL
> element.
>
> 2) Make sure that labels of all form controls are properly placed.
>
> 3) If there are logical groupings of form controls, use FIELDSET with
> LEGEND
> on each group.
>
> My questionable code:
>
> <form id="searchform" action="index.html" method="get"><p
> id="searchinput"><input id="search" maxlength="255" size="10"
> value="&nbsp;search" name="search">&nbsp;<input type="submit"
> value="go!"></p></form>
>
> And the page:
>
> http://www.theviewfromthehill.com/page.html
>
> I know I'm missing something simple here, but I've looked at this a
> number
> of times and I'm getting nowhere. The page validates as HTML4.01
> Strict and
> valid CSS. All applicable code is in the source.
>
> Jeez, it's just a search box...
>
> TIA, Rick.
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown