[thelist] PHP include() / Require

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 09:46:55 CST 2004

No downside at all. Includes are the best way to do it. Make everything
that repeats on more than one page (within reason, of course) an
include. Makes it easier to manage changes.

As for Dreamweaver, I don't know how it handles includes in the design
view if you use php, but it will display Apache SSI inline as an
uneditable region, as long as the SSI is simple (complex = if else
statements and other procedural statements). If it can't handle php
includes in design view, it's possible there is an extension out there,
which you could look for on the Macromedia web site.

Diane

On Saturday, February 14, 2004, at 02:01 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Good day,
> So I am just discovering the wonderful world of php and Mysql.
>
> I have been using Dreamweaver to build my site (over 50 pages now) and
> using the library items in dreamweaver to handle updates to my
> navigation system.  However I just discovered the php include /
> require functions  and the advantages of this over the Dreamweaver
> solution are obvious.
>
> Could someone be so kind as to point out the downside for me?  (there
> has to be one right?)
>
> Thanks,
> JP
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown