[thelist] Design question for Web control user interface

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 16:46:50 CST 2004

You could use javascript to display a text field next to the drop-down
list only when a "not listed/other" option is selected. Then it doesn't
show unless it is needed. I've also see it done where the text field
always shows but the disabled property is toggled.

HTML doesn't have a combo box.

This answer barely offers an answer to your question at all, so accept
my apology.

On Monday, February 16, 2004, at 02:25 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> This is great, but I want to allow users to enter a new value if it =
> doesn't
> appear in the list.=20
>
> The FORM layout for this problem that occurs to me: Add an input text =
> box -
> aside/above/below to the drop-down list. If the text box is not empty,
> =
> use
> the value there, instead of the drop-down.=20
>
> This solution doesn't seem elegant since it requires two controls to =
> achieve
> a single input value,
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown