[thelist] Apache: Name base VirtualHost Hel[L]p?

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Wed Feb 18 00:54:40 CST 2004

Based on some earlier emails on thelist, I've started digging into (Win2k)
Apache (1.3x) with a certain degree of seriosity. I'm having an issue with
name based VirtualHost directives. For each of my client folders on my
machine, I have

domain_a.com, domain_b.com and so on...

I've set up my conf files as such

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       my_account_name_at.dnsalias.com
127.0.0.1       test.domain_A.com
127.0.0.1       test.domain_B.com

And my .conf file looks like this...

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName localhost
         DocumentRoot D:\htdocs
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost test.domain_A.com:80>
         ServerName test.domain_A.com
         DocumentRoot D:\domain_A.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost test.domain_B.com:80>
         ServerName test.domain_B.com
         DocumentRoot D:\domain_B.com
</VirtualHost>

Whenever I restart Apache, whichever of the first domains I first test,
becomes the one that shows up regardless of which domain that I use. So if
I test "B", localhost, test.domain_a.com and test.domain_B.com all return
the contents of site "B"

Ideally what I want to do is to have it so that I punch in
http://test.site_A.com and get that domain, with the other correctly
accessing their respective domains. I've read

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2003/07/24/vhosts.html?page=1

and the appropriate chapters in O'Reilley's Apache: The Definitive Guide.

Either I'm out to lunch, not grokking the concept, or something's awry.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.