[thelist] Visual Design book opinions (and a tip :)

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Feb 18 09:31:05 CST 2004

Hi all --

I'm pretty good at the markup part -- HTML and CSS are rolling along
pretty well for me, and I know a smattering of Javascript.  However,
whenever I'm looking at a new project, my lack of visual design skills
quickly becomes apparent.

I've found this book:  "Constructing Web Graphics for Non-Designers"
published by glasshaus.  Does anyone (ahem... hello, aardvark) have an
opinion about this?  Is it good?  Are there any other similar books
that people recommend on this topic?

<tip type="Color Wheel utility for Mac OS X">
There is a Color Picker add-on for Mac OS X that shows you
complementary or analogous colors for whatever color you give it, as
well as providing precise controls for choosing saturation, hue angle,
and brightness.  It also allows graphic designers to use a standard
"Red Yellow Blue" color wheel in addition to RGB, CMYK, etc.

There is unfortunately a bug that currently conflicts with BBEdit, but
the developers say they're working on it.

It's called "Painter's Picker", and you can get it at
<http://www.oldjewelsoftware.com/ppicker/>.  (I am not associated with
them in any way, except that I use their product.)
</tip>

Thanks,
Steve