[thelist] Q on a DB schema

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Feb 19 11:10:09 CST 2004

Walter,

Since you have a PK for the user_id you technically can split it, but
there's little reason to, with one exception.  The "track user access"
portion of this database could be handled in a separate table so you can
keep a running log of accesses rather than just the last access.

Something like this:

CREATE TABLE 'user_access' (
  'user_id' int(4) NOT NULL,
  'ip_addr' varchar(15) NOT NULL,
  'referer' varchar(255) NULL,
  'date_created' datetime NOT NULL default GetDate())

user_id is an FK back to the user table and each record would equate to a
single login by the user.  This table would not be purged or overwritten as
it's an historical account off access.

Good luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer