[thelist] SQL Server Backups

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Feb 20 20:29:46 CST 2004

From: "Maximillian Schwanekamp" <anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com>
Subject: [thelist] SQL Server Backups

: I have a site with a SQL Server 2000 backend, on a shared
: host with the website and the SQL database residing on
: separate machines.  My client is getting worried that the
: hosting provider's daily backups are not sufficient in case
: of catastrophe.  It being a shared host, I cannot set up a backup
: device, nor do I have any sysadmin rights - or anything close.
: I set up a SQL Server hosting account with another provider,
: and *tried* to create a scheduled "Copy Database" task in
: Enterprise Manager, but apparently that depends on my
: local installation of Enterprise Manager to execute.  Ack,
: this is so much easier with MySQL and a nice Unix
: server with Cron!  Anyway, anyone have input on this?

The fundamental problem here is that you don't have sufficient
administrative privileges to do what you want. Get the hosting company to
give you db_backupoperator privileges to the database that you own (this can
be assigned on a database-by-database basis). You can then issue BACKUP
T-SQL statements.

Whilst the mySQL world might seem simpler, it seems that in this case it's
your hosting provider not giving you enough rights to do what you want. I
don't know how you backup mySQL databases (especially with CRON - but please
do email me offlist and let me know as I'm interested), but I assume it'd
still require some kind of grant by the hosting company of privileges to do
that.

Otherwise, fork out $49.95 and buy the Developer Edition of SQL Server, and
use DTS to get a copy of the database from the hosting company to another
location (not really recommended, but it'd suffice as an interim measure).

Cheers
Ken