[thelist] Site Check

Jwp live4bacon at optonline.net
Sun Feb 22 22:30:22 CST 2004

Hey thanks for the feedback Chris,

> Not a bad design. Nice and clean, fairly straight forward, and really
> really boring. There is nothing here to prompt the user to ever go any
> further into the site.

Thank you, and well Corporate America is a boring place.

> First question: what was the purpose of the site and who are the
> intended users?

Corporate America specifically those in Supply Chain Management.  The
purpose is to pass along information about our Software company Terra
Technology. And the solutions we offer.  And since IE is pretty much
standard across the board with large corporations due to MS stranglehold and
what not the site is designed for IE and that is all the boss man cares
about (however for my own sake I have been trying to ensure that my design
comes through on all browsers (take a look at the highlights page and you
will see that I have a little more work to do in this area)

> Aside from the top, here are some other points that I noticed:
> 1. The little blinking quote thingy at the bottom rotates to fast to
> actually read any of the quotes. You may want to slow this down.

Thanks, I will add some delay time in the morning!

> 2. At small browser sizes in IE 6 and Mozilla, the blue bar that extends
> the top navigation does not continue to the end of the browser.

Yeah I can't figure that one the bar is set to 100% so if the screen is
small enough to require a scroll bar it doesn't extend to the right when you
scroll I cannot seem to find a solution for this (if I specify a width of
>100% I always get a scroll bar in IE so that is not an option as 100% of
our customer base uses IE

> 3. In mozilla, once again using a small browser size, the navigation
> totaly screws up. The options scroll down and form another line just
> below and messes up the design

Really? I had thought that the addition of a long spacer gif had solved that
problem, back to the drawing board.

> 4. In mozilla, for the drop down menu options you get an I bar instead
> of the nice little hand.

I've noticed this myself with Netscape any suggestions on how to fix it?

> 7. Something seems to be missing on the bottom and the left hand side.
> The design just seems to end. This leaves me with the feeling that it is
> not quite done. I am mostly referring to the double lined T on the first
> page.

This is the design, the double bar comes from the terra logo.  Maybe I will
look into closing those up.

> 5. On the left hand side, the orange that you use in the secondary
> navigation is hard to read against the lite blue background. The white
> on blue is not the easiest to read either.

Boss' specifications I am trying to steer him towards another color but as
of now this is what he wants........(thanks for providing me some ammo)

> Hey, you said to not hold back.

And I thank you for not holding back, this is the feedback I need to improve
my skills!!

Thanks for your time!!
JP