[thelist] Re: Email Obfuscation may be beaten?

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Tue Feb 24 08:39:56 CST 2004

All,

   Not to beat a dead horse (or topic), but I wanted to just let you all
know that I went ahead and implemented the Perl script that I proposed here
a few weeks ago [1]. To review, this script may be used with a contact form
that can be configured to send email to any number of people in your
organization, whose email addresses you define on the server so that they
are never exposed to the client. The Perl code, and a sample HTML contact
form, may be viewed here [2].

   I have already used it to implement contact forms on some of the sites I
maintain, such as [2]. Feel free to try it out there. Note that you can send
to either "John" or "Mary". (But please use "John", since my wife won't know
what you're talking about.) Feel free to experiment with adding a
querystring to the URL such as "?to=Mary" or "?subject=Hello+John&to=John".
This ability means that you can replace your
"mailto:yourname at yourdomain.com" href to something like
"/contact.html?to=yourname".

   Feedback welcome.

- John Brooking

[1] http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20040202/154813.html
<http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20040202/154813.html>
[2] http://www.pobox.com/~JohnBrook/codelib/
<http://www.pobox.com/~JohnBrook/codelib/>

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.