[thelist] How to connect Tomcat 5 and Apache 2.0.48 using mod_jk

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Wed Feb 25 17:57:24 CST 2004

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> Erm, have you tried it? If so, what's the error?

Yes, I have tried it and I have no idea what the error is. In the
tutorial, it states that I need to add some text to both server.xml and
the apache httpd.conf file. I also need to create a workers.properties
file inside a certain directory. However, I have followed all these
directions, and I am using the latest version of mod_jk, and Tomcat 5
will not start. I run the startup script and a second terminal window
opens, some text flies by, and the window closes before I can see any
error output.

> But to step back a bit -- no, I haven't done this, my primary dev
> environment is Apache 2 + Tomcat 4; I'm running TC5 standalone on
> a different machine.
>
> A quick look at the JK docs shows no reference to TC5 (no surprise)
> but a *very* quick look at the TC5 source makes me think that the
> same AJP13 connector should work. I'll try to test this idea myself
> but the earliest will be later today.

What is this AJP13 connector that you are talking about. All I know
about is mod_jk. Are they the same thing?

> If you don't want to wait for that, my recommendation would be to
> install the TC4.1.29 and JK connector binaries and get that setup
> working with Apache, since it's (fairly well) documented. Then you
> could try just swapping in TC5.

I think for now I am going to run Tomcat as a standalone server. It is
only for learning purposes and it is running on a notebook. This will
allow me to turn it on whenever I want to work on a project and also
turn it off when I don't need it.

If anyone gets Tomcat5 and Apache 2.0.xx connected, I would love to hear
*exactly* how they did it.

chris