[thelist] Parent and Child Windows

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Feb 27 10:06:31 CST 2004

Richard,

In a popup window, the object "opener" is a reference to the parent window.
You should be able to pass this object around the various windows to
maintain the reference to the first window.

<tip type="JS Best Practice" author="Joshua Olson">
When opening windows via links using JS, use the following format to promote
accessibility and graceful degradation:

this.target, '[ attributes]'); return false;" title="[The link
description] - Opens in a new window">open link in new window</a>

Using this technique allows the new content to be viewed in a new window
even in non-JS enabled browsers.
</tip>

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer