[thelist] MySQL: Problem with JOIN query

Alexis Fellenius alexis at winstondesign.se
Sat Feb 28 12:29:14 CST 2004

Hi.
I'm having a problem with an MySQL-query. (table structure at the
bottom of this mail)

My goal is to select users based on their interests.
But I just can't get it to work!
Example:
I want to select the user who has chosen BOTH computers
(interest_id = 1) AND music (interest_id = 2)
	e.g
	The query should result in getting user 'Alexis' (user_id = 2)

I have tried using
     SELECT U.* FROM users AS U
         LEFT JOIN user_interest_assoc AS A ON A.user_id = U.user_id
     WHERE A.interest_id = 1 AND A.interest_id = 2
     GROUP BY U.user_id

But it doesn't return any rows.
Can someone point out my errors? Is it even possible to do this with
one query?
(The query doesn't return any errors so i guess it's a logical error in
the SQL but being new to all this my eyes is bleeding of all the
looking-straight-at-the-screen-hoping-it-will-solve-it-self hours I've
spent with this)

In other words...
I would be extremely grateful for any tip..

=)

Example table structure: (some columns excluded for simplicity)

users
  +---------+-------------+
  | user_id | first_name  |
  +---------+-------------+
  |    1    |    Joel     |
  +---------+-------------+
  |    2    |    Alexis   |
  +---------+-------------+
  |    3    |    Eric     |
  +---------+-------------+

interests:
  +-------------+-------------+
  | interest_id |  interest   |
  +-------------+-------------+
  |      1      |  Computers  |
  +-------------+-------------+
  |      2      |    Music    |
  +-------------+-------------+
  |      3      |    Films    |
  +-------------+-------------+
  |      4      | Finger painting |
  +-------------+-------------+

interest_user_assoc (primary key excluded)
  +-------------+-------------+
  | interest_id |   user_id   |
  +-------------+-------------+
  |      1      |      2      |
  +-------------+-------------+
  |      2      |      2      |
  |      2      |      1      |
  |      4      |      3      |

/alexis

--
Alexander Fellenius, Winston Design
Adress: Högalidsgatan 36, SE-117 30 Sthlm