[thelist] ..servlet hosting

Javed Alam jalam at cc.ysu.edu
Sun Feb 29 21:49:29 CST 2004

I am learning the Java servelet framework to develop JAVA based web
applications.

There are many webhosting companies, those provide web hosting  for
php/mysql etc at relatively inexpensive price. However, servlet hosting
is a much more expensive proposition. I went with a User Mode Linux web
hosting service because it provided a virtual debian based linux server
where I can practically do anything as if I own my own dedicated host (
64 meg real memory, 2500meg HD and 20G data transfer/month) for
$20/month. It worked out OK for the HD space and the Data Transfer,
however, I am running up against the brick wall of the memory. I wanted
to try Laszlosystem ( http://www.laszlosystems.com/ ) presentation
server. it requires 250meg ram to run some of the examples that come
with the application.

I am looking at getting dedicated hosting server and here are the three
services that seems to provide a cost effective solution:

http://www.serverpronto.com/
http://www.1and1.com
http://www.server4you.com/us/

The cost varies from $30/month to $50/month for a dedicated server. I
was wondering if somebody from the list had any experience in dealing
with these web hosting companies. I would be interested in knowing about
their customer support if something goes wrong. My present web hosting
server with UML is excellent. So far they only had one failure that
lasted for few hours. It is the cost for service that goes up
exponentially if I ask for more memory.

Thanks

Javed

--