[thelist] Site review

Seyon evolt at delime.com
Tue Mar 9 10:58:55 CST 2004

Message from John C Bullas (3/9/2004 04:07 PM)

>I understand I am just "playing" at what a lot of you lot do for a living
>however I am sure you all are
>forever learning stuff even now..... I always find it difficult to explain
>something I have a so-called
>expertise in without getting critical ( but very infrequently I fail AND
>do get critical rather than constructive)
>
>So for future reference alternative solutions in addition to a critique of
>those issues raised along with more constructive
>and positive language I guess would help a lot more.... there is always
>the perennial problem of convincing
>the client that having a wanky IP display on the page is a bad thing and
>also ripping the hit counter from
>their clutches....

Good advice John.
Here's my alternative solution to these "problems", something I mentioned
in passing in my previous email.

Before doing an iota of work on the site, have the client define its
objectives. "Why do we need a website?" "What is it going to do for us?"

Then refer every component of the site to those objectives. "Does
displaying the client's IP address achieve objective A, B or C?"

I always try to explain to people who ask me to critique their site, unless
I actually know what its objectives are, it's very hard for me to give you
feedback that has any real business value. More often than not, they never
thought of objectives in the first place, because the designer jumped
straight into drawing up fancy layouts or crafting code to deliver all
manner of eye catching effects.

regards.

--
Carnival 2004 in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/