[thelist] video format choices

Paul Silver paul at paulsilver.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 06:46:41 CST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:51:44 +0100, "Mike" <evolt at muinar.com> said:
> At 18:12 10.03.2004 -0800, someone wrote:
> >I have a customer who wants to offer a video clip online (from a
> >news segment, delivered by default in MPEG1 format).
> >
> >Other formats are available from the provider, at extra cost.
> >
> >What would provide the widest (cross-platform, commonly deployed)
> >coverage -- MPEG1 + [ Windows Media | Real | Quicktime | ? ]
>
> Flash - ?

I'd agree with Mike here - Flash looks a very sensible option.

I was at a Macromedia training day in Brighton yesterday and the new
video compression stuff they have built in to Flash looks very good, and
apparently the Flash player has 92% market penetration for player v6 or
above. That's better than any of the other solutions that are around at
the moment.

For anyone currently using Flash for video - one of the presenters
advised downloading the patch that's come out in the last few days,
opening your projects and saving them again, apparently you should see a
noticeable difference in file sizes with no loss of quality.

I know the info was coming from people with a vested interest in selling
more copies of Flash, but as you can get it on a 30 day download, I think
it's well worth a look for the video stuff.

Cheers

Paul
--
  Paul Silver - Web Development and Technical Search Engine Optimisation
  07813 654285 -- http://www.paulsilver.co.uk