[thelist] XML Editor Recommendations

Marcus Andersson marcus at bristav.se
Fri Mar 12 10:47:30 CST 2004

Sam Carter wrote:
> Any recommendations for an XML editor?
>
> Sam

Depends on what you need.

If you want to write XML in a "text-editor" like environment you have
some of the following:

Many people think that XML Spy is the best (it's guaranteed that it has
the most features anyway). XML Spy costs a lot of money but that may not
matter in your case.

Some people recommend to use Emacs with it's XML mod.

If you're an Eclipse user I can recommend XML Buddy (I like it) that
comes in a lite (free) version and in a commercial version (30$ or
something like that). There is also a commercial editor named Oxygen
that works as a plugin to Eclipse (this one has a pretty good reputation
among some people).

JEdit has a XML editor plugin.

Intellij Idea (which is a java IDE) has an excellent XML editor.

Personally I mostly use UltraEdit (plain text editing) for my daily XML
editing (hack XSLT all the time)

I cannot, however, recommend anything if you want to write XML in an
environment where it feels like a word processor (I know they exist)

/Marcus