[thelist] Tip Regarding Adshield and false scripting errors

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 06:16:15 CST 2004

<tip type="Adshield and MSIE/IE scripting errors"
author="John Bullas">
When using Adshield ( pop up... & la la la..... blocker) I experienced this
browser error but only on pages I had written..... BUT all had 3rd party
javascripted hit loggers and click throughs.....

Line 2
Character 1
Error: Syntax Error
Code: 0
from their webpage: http://www.ad-shield.com/support/solutions.html#problems

Problem: Script error or script debugger messages.

Probable Cause: Harmless script error/debugger messages may occur when
AdShield blocks a scripted pop-up ad or the download of an entire ad
script. This usually happens when a poorly-coded ad script attempts to open
a pop-up window and then manipulate it without checking to see if the
pop-up was actually created. We recommend simply clearing the checkmark
next to "Display a notification about every script error" on the Advanced
tab of the browser's Internet Options dialog (accessible from the Tools
menu). You can always double-click the little warning icon in the lower
left corner to display the script error messages, if necessary. If you have
a script debugger installed, you may also be prompted to debug these script
errors. In this case I'd simply select "Disable script debugging" on the
Advanced tab of the browser's Internet Options dialog when you're not
developing web pages with scripts.

adding the URLs to the exclude list achieved nothing, an uninstall of the
package and reboot did...

For "normal" browsing without the error dialogue active this would not be
an issue but if you are proofing pages the false negatives can be a real pain!
</tip>