[thelist] php portal framework

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 10:53:52 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:57:17AM +0200, Alexandru Badiu wrote:

> I have to do some sort of hardware/software portal with php and mySQL. I
> thoght I'd use an already written portal framework for this. My question
> is: what would you guys recommend?

My vote would be for drupal (http://www.drupal.org), a very powerful
framework for building community based sites.

It comes with a number of default modules for blogs, forums, image
galleries, and collaborative authoring. Also has a very active development
community extending the functionality through add-on modules.

4.3.2 is the current stable release, but 4.4 has just hit Release Candidate
status, so I expect 4.4final to be released in the next couple of weeks.

For those of us who care about such things, it's fully themeable and
most of the default themes are XHTML Trans compliant out of the box.

Full feature list:
http://drupal.org/features

Contributed modules and themes:
http://drupal.org/project/releases

Documentation:
http://drupal.org/handbook

I'm not affiliated with the project, but I've been using it on polytechnic
since version 4.0 and I've been very impressed with the functionality and
modularity of the system.

G.