[thelist] CSS: Semi-transparent?

Stephen Caudill SCaudill at municode.com
Tue Mar 16 07:56:36 CST 2004

--------------- David Dorward wrote: ---------------

: On 16 Mar 2004, at 09:57, Christian Anderson wrote:
:: Back with another CSS question. How can I get a semi transparent
:: like on this blog:
::
:: http://www.shiromi.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
:
:
: It isn't semi-transparent, its just a pale copy of the main
: background image as a background image.
: http://www.shiromi.com/images/layout/gecko/sunflower-low-contrast.jpg
:
: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo2.html

Further to the above example from the esteemed Mr. Meyer, Eddie (the author
of Shiromi.com) has done something clever to handle IE's lack of ability
to handle fixed backgrounds.  If you notice in Eric's example, in IE6,
you get a doubling effect of the background in the content area.  Eddie has
worked around this by utilizing attribute selectors as such:

body[id=shiromi] div.menuleftroot{
}

which affectively blocks IE from reading any such rules since it does not
understand the syntax.  I would make the detraction that rather than
duplicate all the rules for compliant browsers (it appears he copied the
whole style sheet and added body[id=shiromi] to all the rules), he could
simply have blocked IE from the rules it wouldn't display properly, such
as the fixed background.  This would have shaved valuable k's off the file
size.

Nice work, either way, though.

-Stephen
http://www.mechavox.com/