[thelist] ASP: Jump to specific record in recordset

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Mar 16 17:40:42 CST 2004

Maybe you're missing somethng? Maybe I'm missing something?

Why aren't you using SQL to just bring back the record you want, rather than
having the database stream back 94 unnecessary records?

Your way sounds very inefficient, from the information you've given us. A
quick way to cripple your app as soon as you get concurrent users because of
the excessive number of locks that are going to have to be issued against
the table.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Ken Kogler" <gsls at kenkogler.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] ASP: Jump to specific record in recordset

: > First link contains the link leading to the following:
: >
: >
: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/
: htm/
: > mdproabpos.asp
:
: Yeah, I've looked at that page, but I must have missed something. The
: .move command won't work for me since it wants a specific number of
: record to move past, like this:
:
:   rs.move(4)
:
: That would jump ahead 4 records, but that's not what I need. I need to
: jump to a specific record given the value of a column in that record.
:
: Then again, maybe I missed something else on that page.
:
: --ken