[thelist] IE bug? modal window has focus but can't paste with CTRL+Vuntil manual focus

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Wed Mar 17 09:43:09 CST 2004

Scott Blanchard wrote:

> I have a modal dialog window wich contains a textarea element in
> which I am setting the focus via script from the opener. The cursor
> is blinking in the textfield perfectly and if I start typing it works
> fine. However, if instead of typing some text, I hit CTRL+V to paste
> to the textarea, nothing happens. It is not until I manually click
> the mouse inside the textarea that I am able to paste. What gives???
> Is this an IE specific bug? It works fine in Mozilla.

    I just did a quick test with a modal dialog and was able to Ctrl+V into
a text area without problem, using IE 6. Without seeing code -- or more
preferably, the actual page -- it would be very difficult to offer much more
than that.
    Also, one point of confusion on my part: you say that your code works
fine in Mozilla, but Mozilla does not support the showModalDialog method
that IE uses to open a modal dialog. What's up with that?

James Aylard