[thelist] ASP newbie with needs help asking a question

Rob Sylvan rsylvan at nhptv.org
Thu Mar 18 15:02:01 CST 2004

I'm so new to programming in general, and ASP specifically that I even need
help formulating the question I need to ask. :-)

Here is what I am trying to do ... If you look at this example
http://snipurl.com/56jb from yahoo's TV listings you'll see that for shows
that have long titles (see the 4 am slot for CBS) they shorten the text and
add "..." to the end.

I am doing a similar project where I pull titles from a database and display
them as linked text in a grid. I have the display working fine, except I
have some long titles that I'd like to shorten in a similar way as yahoo
does.

My problem is that I don't even know how to formulate my question in such a
way that would enable me to search for the answer. Can someone help point me
in the direction of where I might learn how to do this?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob