[thelist] OT: Barcode scanners and hardware inventory

David Siedband david at calteg.org
Tue Mar 23 19:31:32 CST 2004

One possibility that could be low-cost and interesting...

Have you seen the Cue:Cat?

It's a simple barcode scanner that Radio Shack was giving a way a while
ago.
You can probably find one without too much effort.

You could scan product barcodes and be taken to the manufacturer's
website...

I think they are available in both PS/2 and USB versions.

They can be modified to provide a text input of the barcode you scan

there is a bunch of information about them online.  for example:
http://cexx.org/cuecat.htm

This opens a lot of possibilities.  On the simple side, you could use
it to read UPC #'s into a spreadsheet, text file, etc.
Or you could code a little application, maybe a simple PHP/MySQL app
running on a laptop.

If you develop something functional, consider open sourcing it, as
others would likely find it useful.

HTH,
--
David