[thelist] Difference between domain registrars

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Mar 24 11:56:02 CST 2004

>After the domain expired, they claimed that it would cost $80 US plus
>one year of new registration to pull the domain out of some holding
>area, limbo or black hole and hand it back to her.

GoDaddy is not perfect, I am sure, but certainly better than NetSol, with
whom I've had similar problems due to their apparent belief that they own
the web, everyone else being mere tenants!  But this anecdote is a little
unusual, since GoDaddy not only auto-renews domains unless the user opts out
of that feature and since GoDaddy is *very* proactive about sending email
notifications of impending expiry.  Of course, that assumes the email
address on file for the domain is up to date.  I strongly recommend GD to
anyone who will listen.  Though, steer away from their hosting offerings -
they *suck* in that area.

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp