[thelist] Hello, I'm new here...php question

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Sun Mar 28 01:06:16 CST 2004

>I am in the process of totally re-designing the company website, but
> I have little-to-no PHP experence.

>I simply want to be able to have a single index.php file and have it call
>pages according to what index.php?page=variable is

Miles, two possible solution to that could be: either learning to use
mod_rewrite for Apache or an ISAPI equivalent for IIS; or adopt a PHP-based
CMS (Content Management System) to do the same thing.  On mod_rewrite & PHP,
check notabene's evolt article on this subject (and the comments to it!):
http://evolt.org/article/Making_clean_URLs_with_Apache_and_PHP/18/22880/inde
x.html

For a CMS system, your choices are huge.  Since you have little experience
with coding, and probably are working on a sharp timeline, this might be
your best option.  Google for possible commercial options; A couple of
excellent free open source CMSs are Drupal and Mambo, though there are
gaggles of them listed at opensourceCMS:
http://drupal.org/
http://mamboserver.com/
http://opensourcecms.com/

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp