[thelist] server problem

Kerry Gray kerry.gray at artandtext.com.au
Wed Mar 31 02:55:02 CST 2004

Hello

I'm looking to learn why a particular server is having problem reading CSS
with XHTML-transitional. I hope someone here can help.

I have been mentoring a client in the building of her site. Everything
progressed fine until she loaded the site on her host server yesterday and
viewed the site with Mozilla.

When testing on my server all was fine. Server is type:
apache server 1.3.22  running Linux - v. 2.2.19 on Pentium X86 PC.

Site developed in Dreamweaver MX (MacOS-10.3) using very simple CSS

Problem server type:  Mac using Webstar. versions unknown - only info was
that Webstar is a couple of years old.

The client called the ISP host (from Australia to Canada!) to be told that
there was something wrong with the CSS and that XHTML wouldn't work for
people using MacOS9.

Extensive testing proved that there was nothing amiss with the CSS and
viewing the same files on a different server with the same equipment was not
problematic. However when we stripped out the XHTML document declaration and
replaced with HTML 4.1 doc.dec. the problem was resolved.

After 8 years in this business I am so dismayed that I still don't know
enough and the bar keeps shifting before I can catch up.

Please, could someone give me an answer (and any encouragement would be
soothing).

thanx. (love the site - so simple I nearly got lost)
--
Kerry Gray
http://www.artandtext.com.au