[thelist] server problem

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 09:22:22 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 06:55:02PM +1000, Kerry Gray wrote:

Kerry,

Without some more details this will be difficult to diagnose. What
browser/OS combinations are you seeing this behaviour on?

That aside, the page language (XHTML Trans, HTML4.01, Tag Soup) shouldn't
have any bearing on the servers ability to deliver pages, but this is
raising some red flags:

> However when we stripped out the XHTML document declaration and replaced
> with HTML 4.1 doc.dec. the problem was resolved.

When the pages has the XHTML declaration, they didn't have an xml prolog at
the top by any chance did they?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

This is known to throw some versions of IE into Quirks Mode and affect
rendering, I'm wondering if something odd is happening to Webstar. It
shouldn't, but without any more information we're clutching at straws.

Have you tried the Webstar support site?:
http://www.4d.com/support.html

> Please, could someone give me an answer (and any encouragement would be
> soothing).

/me hands Kerry a cup of tea and a biscuit

G.