[thelist] http -> sms, character coding

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Wed Mar 31 13:40:32 CST 2004

Hello,

I'm working on an application which uses http to sms gateway. As the
system will be used in many European countries, there's the national
character issue. For instance here:
http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/default_alphabet.html
is a nice table of the sms 7 bit alphabet.

The content that is sent out is managed with a CMS, where the authors
throw in all obscure national characters they can come up with...

So I have to filter the messages I'm sending to the gateway.

Then to my questions:
- Any ideas how to do the character filtering efficiently? There may be
peak times, so speed is of essence here.
- Do all phones and operators handle the gsm alphabet in same way, or
are the variations on this?
- Experiences and links would be appreciated, as this is my first
sms-project...

¡muchas gracias!
.kasimir