[thelist] intro and beginner's question!

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Thu Apr 1 18:49:41 CST 2004

this was a learning PHP thread

diane at dianesoini.com 27/03/2004 12:15:28 wrote
> Also super helpful is to install an
> Apache web server on your computer (and install perl, php, and mysql,
> too) so you can run php locally.

Yes obviously a local personal web server is needed to develop PHP...

I have just uninstalled Apache. It was just too difficult to configure and manage, even with the "triad" installer that also installed MySQL and PHP at the same time.

Instead I am now using Abyss Web Server as my development web server. It is an unbelivably small download, and incredibly easy to install and configure. The only problem I have found with this web server was finding the page on their site that explains how to install PHP as well!
http://www.aprelium.com/
http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php.html
And they don't have a page that explains how to install MySQL and phpMyAdmin but this info is in their forum (or on the mysql.net and phpmyadmin.net websites)

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
Unitec New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/staff/syoung.htm
I would provide a URL for my official staffpage, but its too long and complex